Here is one of our camps where I spent part of the summer while going to university.  Our camp is the small white spec you see in the centre.  As you can tell from all the stores, restaurants and other entertainment that this is a place where you cannot spend money.  There were no roads and it was well before the internet.

Typically we would spend about a week or ten days in an area and cover the entire cirque, checking out each area to see what the geology looked like and where there might be igneous intrusions because at the seam between the intrusions and the sedimentary bedrock is where we would find metal sulfides – hopefully silver or copper, maybe even golf.  After the exploratory period we would move, by helicopter, to another similar site.

To the right is another shot from the west looking down at the camp from another ridge line.  There were two little run off streams on either side of the camp providing us with clear, clean water.  The meadow above the camp was well populated by marmots who would be out whistling during the day.

This Camp had some mining potential based on some geo-chemical indications so we ran IP lines and do some magnetometer work.  We had to cut a 3 foot wide path a mile or so long on a precisely mapped survey line that crossed along the valley side to the left.  We had to chainsaw through scrub evergreens with very gnarly trunks close to the very rocky ground.  The saw chains had to be replaced once a day and sharpened many times due to constant collisions with rocks and the hard wood from the bushes.

I did the survey lines and cut the line with Al Ghostkeeper and Artie Jack.  Ghostkeeper was Cree and had many funny stories to tell.  Artie was a young Gkitsun teenager with a lot of curiosity.  We got along well.

This last shot was taken from the camp shows what it was like on a normal (not so sunny) day.  The small intrusion of igneous rock jutting up through the fog was called Goat’s Tit. It is circled in red. It is on the left in the first photo but hard to pick out.  We had to cut our survey line out just past it on the uphill side.

One day our chopper came in unexpectedly and they wanted to speak to me back at the Camp, a hour’s hike back for me.  So  I went to be lifted off the top of Goat’s Tit by our helicopter.

Our pilot didn’t have quite enough room for a full landing in the small rough area on the top of the little hill, so he put one chopper strut down and held the position for a moment. I scrambled up the rise and got one foot on the chopper strut and one hand on the door when the wind shifted and the pilot had to  take off over the valley.  I could look down though my legs a thousand feet.

Instantaneous can be defined by how long it took me to open the door and jump inside when I was a that high in the air.  A moose down below thought, hmmm, it is raining yellow rain today.  Such was life in the bush.

Every day could have a potential catastrophe and every day was spent out so far from everywhere that I had to save the pay I needed for university tuition.

  • Share/Bookmark

Leave a Reply

Next Post
Powered by WordPress.
Calotropis theme by itx